Sunday, August 1, 2010

Happy Belated Anniversary to Me

Yesterday marked the 3rd anniversary of my arrival in Denmark.  I brought it up in topic yesterday with the in-laws, but somehow the conversation shifted quickly and dramatically to the proposed 28 year law.  I must have been too tired, because it wasn't until this morning when I thought of the proper response, "Hey! We're talking about ME here!!  Aren't you glad I've been here for So Long?"  Just kidding.  Maybe.  My treasured sarcastic wit does not usually translate so well into Danish (or maybe it does, and no one can understand my American accent).  A pity, because I love making people laugh.  In the end, I just sunk back into my chair and listened to the heated debate.

At the beginning of my stay here, I heard from several expats and international students that it takes at least 3 years before finally feeling like you belong to the new place.  So, here's to feeling like I finally belong here.  OK Denmark, I'm waiting...

No comments:

Post a Comment